Purpose of the Program
The SCTA / BNI Mike Waters Memorial Scholarship Program seeks to assist dedicated students who show aptitude and or interest in pursuing studies in vehicle engineering or other field that is related to or supportive of Landspeed Racing. Scholarships will be awarded to assist candidates in furthering his/her education at an accredited degree - granting institution.
Any individual may apply for the scholarship, providing that his/her area of study is pursuant with some facet of Landspeed Racing, i.e.: engineering, math, alternative energy, business management or any other field that can be related to support Land Speed Racing activities. Applicants must also be recommended by an affiliated member of the Landspeed Racing community.
A completed application must be received at the SCTA Office at P.O. Box 10, Orosi, CA 93647 by September 14, 2014. Along with the application, students must provide:
• High School or College transcripts for the last two years.
• Three letters of recommendation. One must be from a teacher on school letterhead.
• Sponsorship / Recommendation from an affiliated member of the Landspeed Racing Community.
• A list of community involvement. The record should include a description of activities in which the applicant has been involved with references.
• A letter of acceptance or proof of registration from an established / accredited school, trade or technical institution, college, or university starting the fall semester of the 2014 academic year.
• A grade point average of at least 2.75 for the last two years.
Judging Recipients will be determined by December 3, 2014. The winners will be informed via postal mail and will be formally announced in SCTA publications and at the SCTA Awards Banquet in January 2015.
Scholarship Winners - 2013
We are so proud and pleased to announce our 2013 Scholarship Awards recipients. These young students will be an asset to our sport of Land Speed Racing.
Lauren Gamboa - Computer Science, Moreno Valley CA
Wendell Burns - Audio & Automotive Engineering, Hemet CA
Adailis Sifuentes - Pre-Med, Port Sanilac MI
Laurel Leuders - Anthropolgy, Arcata CA
Krista Sutliff - Biology, Agua Dulce CA
Joel Jackson - Chiropractics-Motor Sports, Yoncalla OR
Brian Farr - Exploratory Engineering, Boise ID
Nicole Dincau - Communication Studies, Athens GA
Dave Schenker - Mechanical Engineering, Boise ID
Amanda Ferguson Lane - Dr. of Audiology, Pinon Hills CA
Kaci Pflum - Law, Syracuse NY
Thomas Branch - Mechanical Engineering, San Gabriel CA
Julie Starr - Mechanical Engineering-Automotive, Highlands Ranch CO
Jonell Strain - Nursing, San Francisco CA
The SCTA/BNI Mike Waters Memorial Scholarship Fund was also instrumental in providing cash awards to both West Wendover High School and Wendover High School. The recipients were determined by the individual schools as to who earned the award.
We look forward to another successful group of applicants for 2014. Applications are available online here.
SCTA/BNI Mike Waters Memorial Scholarship Committtee